Page banner image

Episode 47 of.... The Storm Chasers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Love2GetUWet on August 30, 2021 at 01:43:46

(wish I had time to elaborate, just had to share this though...)

Today my Grandkid (GK) and his best bud (BB) connected for an unplanned afternoon of "just hanging out". While on our way to pick up the boy, my GK and I noticed random drops of rain hitting the windshield but it didn't feel much like it would actually rain. Zonie understands "Monsoonal Moisture" - we get it here in SoCal - and *sometimes* it is crazy! I've tried for decades to accomplish what we did, which was to drive to a spot where a cell of very heavy rain would pass or was passing. These storms are quite fleeting in our area and will pop up with great intensity, then an hour later, you have partly cloudy skies and no rain at all. I said to the kids, "Are you ready to do some 'storm chasin'? The were non-commital, mostly, because they've never experienced (until today) the amazing excitement and power of a torrential downpour in a heavy thunderstorm with lightning and thunder dancing around the hills above us. There's a winding highway that leads north from our home - I read my favorite radar app called, "My Radar" and it showed a significant cell of rain heading from east to west right across this road. We "took aim" and headed in that direction. At one point as we traveled, massive forking lightning bolts were hitting not far from us (1-3 miles), and THEN, we drove right into the heaviest rain I've experienced here since living on the gulf coast and being pounded by a tropical storm. The rain was falling so hard the windshield wipers couldn't keep up, and while it was still pouring buckets, I found a side road that led up a hill and we pulled off there, got out, got COMPLETELY drenched in 30 seconds and played in the muddy waters racing down the hill in this massive downpour. My GK was in shorts, T-shirt, red canvas vans and white socks; his BB was in heavy cotton sweat pants, shoes/socks, and a T-shirt, and I was in my best jeans, black canvas vans, socks, and a Tshirt.

A remarkably memorable day! I'm going to try and figure out how to share a vid, will add a comment below if I can

-L2GUW

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]