Page banner image

Reveling in Rain at the River

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on September 09, 2021 at 21:40:52

Good things come to those who wait - or so they say. All summer long I have waited for a real heavy downpour at the lake. Usually there are one or two really good drenching storms and I love to stand out in the rain and get soaked and to also swim while it's raining. The water usually turns nice and warm as well. But I have been disappointed, either missing the storms by minutes or the storms circle around and don't hit at the boat ramp. When they do it is very mild rain or even just sprinkles. Or it rains heavily during the night and is over by morning. I just can't win.

So this morning's forecast was for occasional showers, some heavy at times starting this afternoon with the heaviest starting around 5pm and overnight. Same old story, but I hadn't been to the lake for a couple of days so thought I would give it a whirl and see what happened. It was absolutely dead at the boat ramp. A couple was there throwing a ball into the water for their dog, a beautiful Visla. The dog was very sweet and I chatted with her owners as they threw the ball. When they stopped she brought the ball over to me and dropped it my and looked up at me with an expression that definitely said, "Please, won't you throw it for me?" How could I resist those eyes?!! So I threw it for her a few times and then they had to leave. Then an older man came walking down the beach with an older, small dog. It was a Sheltie mix, definitely had the Sheltie head and ears and I asked him if she was part Cavalier King Charles Spaniel because the body had the typical red and white markings of a Blenheim colored Cavalier. He had no idea. They had rescued her from an animal shelter following the death of her previous owner a few years ago. Again a very sweet dog but also very fat! She came over to the rock I was sitting on and tried to squeeze through the small gap between it and the rock directly in front of it to get to her owner. The head made it but the rest of her didn't. We couldn't help but laugh at her. I got down off the rock and walked around it trying to show her an easier, wider path, but she was like , "No this way is shorter!" Finally the man put the leash back on her, backed her out of the crevice and got her on the right path back to the car much to our mutual amusement.

So it sprinkled. It rained lightly. It kept clouding up and looking threatening and then not doing anything. Finally I said, "Skip it! (or something to that effect) I'm gonna go get some lunch.!"

As I was heading home the sky started getting blacker in the distance and then it started raining a nice steady rain. Of course. I considered turning around and going back to the lake but everytime I have done that this summer by the time I get back there the rain has either stopped or headed off in a different direction. At this point I was almost at the river and I thought I would just stop there instead. I'm glad I did.

One car was leaving as I pulled into the parking area and there was one truck there. I parked and headed down the path to my favorite rock and climbed up on it. It's kind of like a chair with a footstool to rest your feet on so I sat down and stretched my legs out and faced upstream towards the bridge where a man was still fishing.

I had on brown boots that a very small hole in the top - so small that I am not ready to throw them away yet. Also had a brown hat and belt, a pair of indigo vintage Lee jeans, Lee light blue denim shirt, striped tie and blue sport coat that looks like denim. Love that coat as it is very light weight, looks fabulous when wet and dries quickly so that it's ready for another soaking in a short time.

After settling in on my rock and stretching my legs out in front of me it started raining harder. I watched the splotches of water land on the arms of my coat and the legs of my jeans making them become darker. I could hear it pelting off my hat and felt it start dripping down my face. Soon the front of my jeans were soaked through and I could feel the rain seeping through my coat and shirt. Eventually water slid down the jeans soaking the back of my legs as well. My butt was still dry though, but I knew how to fix that. The rain kept coming down harder and harder. The fisherman eventually moved under the bridge and fished from there, thinking the storm would let up soon. It didn't. It just came pelting down! I have no idea what he thought of me sitting on my rock in the pounding rain, but in the words of Rhett Butler "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn!"
Finally he packed up his gear and ran for his truck.

My butt was still dry so I jumped off the rock into the river up to my waist and got those back pockets nice and soaked. Then I headed down the path to the parking area and the bridge. I was surprised to see a man and a woman coming towards me and I think they were equally surprised to see me. "It's a bit damp out here today," I said as I slogged past them all sleek, shiny and glistening with water pouring out of every stitch I had on. "yes, VERY damp!," said the man as he passed by. Had no idea where they were headed, but guessing someone had to pee.

The wet clothes felt wonderful clinging to my body and water was dripping off the hem of my jacket and the coat sleeves, running down my shirt and jeans, pouring off my hat brim, dripping off my nose and chin. It felt fantastic. Remember that little hole in the top of my boot? My boots were full of water and every step I took a small stream of water squirted out of that hole like milk from the teat of a cow. Water was running down the path in a small river of is own washing over the tops of my feet. The parking area was totally flooded and anything that hadn't been wet before soon was. It was an absolute deluge.

My goal was the bridge. There are three drain spouts to keep the bridge from flooding - one on each end of the bridge and one in the middle of the river. The one on my side was shooting water out of it like the nozzle on a fire hose and I was going to get under it come what may! The problem was getting down the steep, slippery rocky bank to it. Water was running every where making the rocks underneath hard to see and they were very slick. It took some careful manuevering but so worth it. When I finally got down there and stepped under it it did indeed feel like I was being sprayed by a fire hose from above. It just pounded down over me in a huge cascade, soaking through everything and filling all my pockets and my boots with water again. It actually kind of hurt initially and was a bit cool, but not bad. I managed to get back in under it a few more times and it was so awesome! What an incredible, delicious feeling it was to have my own mini waterfall. Then I sat down on a rock beneath the bridge to try and drip off before going back to the car. Pointless because it was still coming down like mad and the minute I stepped out of the protection of the bridge I was just going to get drenched again. So I carefully picked my way back up the rocky bank to the parking area and spread an old bedspread over the car seat to soak up the water. Then it was home and into a nice hot shower.

Yes, good things do come to those who wait. I have waited a long time for this day but it was definitely worth it! So much better than I ever could have anticipated or imagined!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]