Page banner image

Re: Billy Has Two Moms

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anonymous on September 26, 2021 at 06:11:06

In Reply to: Billy Has Two Moms posted by Love2GetUWet on September 25, 2021 at 23:25:41:

Sorry, I don't usually write here, but this one begged for a response.

Honestly, the best time to learn about different types of people is at a young age. I wouldn't be surprised if your title "Billy has two moms" was sufficient explanation for a young child. Your GK is already familiar with non-standard living arrangements (Grandparents raising GK full-time.) Most kids are familiar with "divorce" and "step-parents" in today's world, either first-hand or from friends. Trying to "shelter" him from "that house" which is a mere three doors down would likely just cause more confusion and questions for him and more stress for you.

In my experience (though maybe I'm a bit jaded), people who grow up excessively sheltered often end up either resentful of their own parents or they became bigoted, angry misanthropes. Just because a child knows about people that are different, doesn't mean they will turn out like them or abandon their entire belief system. If it was a Jewish family, would you explain that they have different beliefs which is why they don't celebrate Christmas or would you banish him from their home rather than have him know about the existence of other religions?

Likely, a simple, age-appropriate conversation would suffice. But, say he did ask the "hard" questions: Would trying to isolate him serve to protect him or rather to protect you from having to answer those questions? Those questions are going to come up at some time at some place when least expected. Would you rather be the one to answer the questions by maintaining honest, open communication or let him get answers from other people when he breaks out of the box we'd all love to keep our kids in?

Everyone wants to protect their kids and hates to have those tough conversations, but the only way to learn to exist in and interact with this world is to go out and be in it. If you lock them away, how will they know how to react later? Guide as best you can and trust that things will work out the way they are meant to.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]