Page banner image

Re: My own wackywet evolution

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on February 07, 2022 at 18:36:37

In Reply to: Re: My own wackywet evolution posted by Pete on February 07, 2022 at 01:08:12:

I think you should look further into the water rescue training. You never know in your profession when you might need it or be called out to assist in some way. I think it would be invaluable to you and your coworkers. As you know in emergency situations seconds count and you can't always wait for the water rescue team to arrive. I'm sure there are plenty of videos on line that you can check out that will give you some idea.

Here in Maine we have several large lakes and rivers. Consequently there are numerous boating accidents and drownings every year. As you might expect most are the result of alcohol and speed. The first responders can make all the difference between life and death and any extra knowledge one has can make a huge difference.

Also it's been extremely cold here. Ice fishing is huge and people go out on the lakes and ponds, mostly on four wheelers and snow machines, but even in pick up trucks and other vehicles. As a result there is always some one who falls through the ice. Recently on one of the local news stations there was a man who personally volunteered to be the "victim" to demonstrate how people can attempt to save themselves if they fall through the ice until help arrives. He has several friends who are on rescue teams although he is not on one himself and they were there to assist, advise and instruct. I learned a few things I didn't know!

First he said to get your breathing under control. After doing numerous polar dips over the years I can attest to the fact when you hit that cold water it takes your breath away and you come up gasping for air! So get your breathing regulated before trying to swim to the edge and pull yourself out. That was another thing - it's often impossible to climb out due to the weight of heavy winter clothing and boots that become heavier when laden with water, so try to get those off if possible. If you cannot get fully out it is better to get partially out and rest your arms and elbows on the ice and let them freeze to the ice so that you don't fall back in the water and drown before help can get to you. That's one I never thought of but it does make sense. Of course you can still die of hypothermia while waiting but it does increase your chances. I read somewhere that most of the victims on the Titanic didn't actually drown but died quickly from hypothermia in the frigid ocean.

Any way I would look further into the matter. Good luck!

So having said that

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]