Page banner image

Baseball Fun

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Robert on July 28, 2022 at 00:55:28

Hi everyone. Sorry for not writing for a while. We've been quite busy lately since this is the first normal summer in a few years, and while there have been wet events, I just haven't had time to write about them.

I want to start off the first of a few upcoming stories with the following. Robbie got himself grounded recently for doing something very stupid (not a "wet" thing). Part of his punishment was that he has to write one of the stories instead of making me write them. This is a punishment for him because he hates writing anything and prefers to just "speak it", so I have always said I'd publish them here. I know he's been working on it (again, takes a while to change names and keep them straight, etc., but he's on it), and I want to proof read it before he posts it. So look out for one from Robbie soon!

I'll start with this story that happened involving Sam. He turned 14 back in May and has grown like a weed since January and is now almost as tall as Robbie. His voice is quite deep now and he looks very much like a teenager instead of a kid like he did previously. Anyway, that just means he's growing up :).

This year, he signed up for baseball for the first time in a few years. He is a first baseman and backup catcher, for the most part, but can also play the outfield and can pitch in a pinch :). It's not really a competitive team or anything, but a lot of the boys have a lot of fun.

Well, during the game this past week it started to rain. Many baseball players are wimps and don't like playing in the rain (they use the "can't grip the ball" excuse, which in my opinion, is hooey - I used to be able to get more grip when the ball was moist/wet and it did wonders for my knuckleball, ha ha). But they kept playing as they were in the 6th inning and were almost done (they play 7 innings). He plays his games at a purpose-built park that has several baseball fields, a few soccer fields, and a large football field. There is a pond, kind of in the middle between the baseball fields and the soccer fields :).

Sam isn't really much of a homerun hitter, but he does run well and is awesome at making contact. So he usually gets lots of hits, just very few that actually leave the park. The only homerun he has hit so far this season was an inside-the-park homerun :).

Anyway, Sam's team was down 8-1 and they were the "home team" so had the last chance in the bottom of innings. A few of the parents sitting around me starting mouthing off at the umpire to call the game (these were parents from the team that was winning) but honestly, it was only a light rain. The game continued and our team was batting. Whack, single. Whack, double, run scored. Whack, single, another run scored. Whack, single, runner to third. You get the idea. We ended up making it 8-5 in the 6th. The rain had picked up quite a bit when we started the top of the 7th. (Sorry if you don't know much about baseball - I don't know many ways to describe what happened without using some terms that are baseball-specific, i.e. "bottom of the inning" and single, double, etc. If you need clarification, ask me in the comments.)

The pitcher, I'll call him Mickey, was quite tall and lanky. He threw a wicked changeup (the kids aren't allowed to throw "proper" breaking balls in this league) and occasionally mixed in a knuckler (taught by yours truly) along with a hard sinker (2-seam fastball). He was normally one of the team's starters, but they were out of pitchers due to the lopsided-ness of the game, so he offered to pitch.

I should have mentioned that all the boys were wearing white baseball pants (as the home team) and their royal-blue sleeveless jerseys with the team name on the front, along with royal-blue shirts with sleeves underneath (no one is baseball seems to want to go fully sleeveless).

First pitch, strike. Second pitch, swing and miss. Third pitch, swing and miss. Phew, I thought, he'll overpower them all and we'll get to hit in the bottom of the inning only down by 3. Next hitter hit a pop-up on the first pitch and Sam caught it over around 1st. Sam wears glasses when he's playing (or "when he needs to see" as he puts it), and they got rain all over them, but when he tried to dry them off on his uniform, it smeared the water since his uniform was damp. He asked the ump for time and put his glasses in the dugout. The other team's manager was angry that the game hadn't been called yet, and used that as a reason.

"I don't care, I can see well enough," Sam yelled out in a bit of a taunting tone.

The game continued, now with 2 outs in the top of the 7th. Mickey threw a wicked changeup on the first pitch, swing and miss. The hitter looked back at him and wondered what it was and then asked the ump if it was an "illegal curve". "Play on," said the ump. Good, I thought, it WAS his changeup.

Next pitch whizzes past the hitter, strike two. We don't have radar guns for the pitchers, but that was the fastest I'd seem Mickey throw yet. Next pitch, the hitter made contact - ground ball to short, Sam received the throw at 1st in time for the 3rd out.

By this time the rain was really coming down. The other team's manager came out again and was really complaining that now his pitchers would have to pitch in this weather. "The other team is playing in the same conditions as you, and they didn't have a problem. Now if there's lightning, we'll stop. Play on," said the ump to the manager, quite firmly.

Sam was going to be due up 6th in the inning, so I wasn't thinking he'd hit unless we got something going. Well, we got something going :). Whack, double. Whack, single, run scored (8-6). Real whack, homer! 8-8! Two consecutive singles followed by an infield fly pop-out, and Sam is up. Considering I've come this far with the story, I think you can probably guess what happened. Yes! Whack, walk-off single! Sam hit the game-winning walk-off hit. He'd never had a walk-off before, so he was mobbed at home plate and dumped in a bucket of water. He said it was COLD water, but his teammates claim it wasn't. But it was so hot outside that he also said it was very refreshing.

This is the first time he's gotten any part of his uniform soaked like that, notwithstanding the steady rain which made it more damp than soaked.

But wait! There's more! The other team decided to argue and challenge that Sam didn't touch first base, therefore that he should be out and the run doesn't count. Since that would have meant Sam was the 2nd out, even if it was true (it was hooey - he definitely stepped on the base), the run would still have scored from 3rd base, which the umpire told to the other manager.

"I don't care about him, I care about the runner. The batter-runner is irrelevant there with less than 2 outs," said the ump.

A huge argument insued and the other team's manager was "ejected" from a game that was already over. What an exciting start to the season! Sam came around to the other side of the fence, soaking wet and smiling, and I gave him a great big hug (he didn't mind - he offered it). About that nearby pond... :) Mickey and a few of the other boys decided to sneak up on Sam and pick him up. I knew exactly what was going to happen. Mickey was the leader and grabbed Sam by his torso. A couple other boys picked up his legs, and they went over to the pond and threw him in! Cleats, uniform, and all! "Ah, refreshing!" he yelled, even thought I knew full-well it was cold. I mumbled to one of the other boys that Mickey was also a player of the game for his awesome pitching in the top of the 7th, so one of them gave Mickey and push from behind, and he ended up in the pond too. Mickey's Dad was standing there laughing his head off. Mickey stood up, took off his hat, brushed his hands through his hair, then scooped up a bunch of water into his hat before putting it back on. Needless to say, Mickey was having a blast too.

A few other boys ended up joining in until some of their parents told them to get out. Mickey and Sam stayed in the longest. "Looks like you had fun getting pushed in the water," I said to Mickey.

"Absolutely! I haven't done this in friggen ages!" he quipped, as he sloshed his way out of the water, with his black underwear/cup clearly visible under his transparent white baseball pants. Sam sloshed his way out too and made a comment that made me know for sure that Sam really is one of us.

"Hey Mickey, let's go back to the field. You pitch to me, and I'll hit. I want to see what it feels like to do this fully soaked like this!" said Sam.

Mickey's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. "You're on!" said Mickey.

They went back to the field, rain had actually lighented up quite a bit by this time, and Mickey grabbed a baseball and went to the mound. I'll tell you, these tight baseball pants the kids wear nowadays don't leave much to the imagination when soaked - you could see exactly where their underwear ends and bare leg starts...

A couple of the other boys went out into the field too, a few of them also soaked. Mickey wound up and pitched to Sam. Whack! The ball went all the way to the fence! Sam took off to run the bases and made it all the way to third on a slide. The dirt stuck to his soaked uniform much more than it normaly does (it does stick quite a bit, but quite honestly, it usually just comes off when you rub it - this was shiny dirt too, along with transparent pants and a shiny jersey).

Anyway, the team fooled around for about 15 minutes after the game before heading home. We had never met Mickey before he was Sam's teammate. I was chatting with Mickey's Dad while they were messing around and said, "Sam likes to get wet occasionally, so he didn't mind at all being thrown in. I hope your son didn't mind."

"Ha, he doesn't mind at all. He seems to get wet at all available opportunities. He doesn't own a bathing suit, so he usually ends up in pools in jeans or sweatpants or something like that. He tends to end up in them in a shirt too, but he does take it off later," said Mickey's Dad.

"Sam and his brother do this kind of for fun. I don't mind it, it's better than doing drugs or getting involved with the wrong people," I said.

"Sounds like Mickey," said Mickey's Dad. "He's gone into the shower with everything on before - 'just for fun' as he puts it."

I almost fell over and had to compose myself. "By everything, do you mean he wears shoes too? Or just some clothes," I asked.

"Oh he's worn shoes, dress pants, a full suit once - that was embarrassing because we had borrowed it - I'd say everything in his closet and drawers has been soaked at least once," said Mickey's Dad.

"Well, I think your son and my boys will get along together quite well," I said.

We exchanged emails, Sam exchanged cell numbers with Mickey and we went home. Mickey lives in Big City (not the biggest city, ha ha), so it's not TOO far away - just a bus-ride or a bug-Dad/Mom-for-a-ride away.

Sam hasn't stopped chatting with Robbie tonight. They had Mickey on the phone and they were playing some game online. The weekend after the game, Mickey and Sam along with Robbie and Derrick has more "fun" over at Mickey's. That's where Robbie's "incident" happened. (Trust me, the incident was non-wet - but that doesn't mean he wasn't wet when it happened!)

What on earth have I gotten into? A bunch of teenage boys getting 100% soaked....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]