Page banner image

Dunk tank drama

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete on January 12, 2023 at 01:05:53

The wife and I are settling into our small town suburban lifestyle. I find it a little boring, but its practical - we were able to get a nice house in our budget in a nice neighborhood, with good schools, parks, all the niceties of American living. Sets us up well for when kids come along. The neighbors seem nice. There's the usual melodrama from time to time, but overall it seems like a friendly crowd and my wife and I have mostly assimilated into a circle of friends. The neighborhood puts on a block party early in the summer, and we volunteered to contribute to it. Me being me, of course I had the idea that we should run a dunk tank. I still volunteer with a local fire department, and we have one that we rent as a fundraiser, which I'd be allowed to borrow free of change since I'm a volunteer there. My wife and I talked, and we'd take care of setting it up, filling it, supervising it, and I'd even talk to some local celebrities about being dunk-ees. (The usual suspects: school principal, police officers, firefighters, youth sports coaches, etc.) I figured any remaining time would easily be filled by parents or older kids looking to cool off on a hot day.

So tonight we have a meeting about the block party, and I'm proud of myself and announce my idea of the dunk tank. Since it wouldn't cost anything and I was volunteering to do all the work, I figured it would be a slam dunk. And boy, was I ever wrong! We were sitting around someone's kitchen table and when it was my turn, I shared my idea. And you'd have thought I was suggesting we let the kids play in a pit filled with poisonous snakes. Everyone went silent, and you could hear a pin drop in the room. And I'm sitting there thinking "Um... what?" Finally someone laughed nervously and said that they'd had some "problems" in the past with a dunk tank, and they probably weren't "ready" to try that again. I was totally unprepared for that reaction and caught off guard. Obviously I'm not going to push the issue, I'm happy to help with whatever they want, and if they don't want a dunk tank for whatever reason, then I'm happy to help in some other way. I'm just super curious now what the "issue" was that lead to a whole room full of people having that reaction - like, did some kid drown? Someone get seriously hurt? Was there a lawsuit? I'm literally perplexed. I'm hoping one of my neighbors might fill in the details for me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]