Page banner image

Update -Re: Dunk tank drama

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete on January 13, 2023 at 04:27:49

In Reply to: Dunk tank drama posted by Pete on January 12, 2023 at 01:05:53:

So I asked my neighbor if he could fill me in with the details of whatever the issue with the dunk tank was. He began his story by really rolling his eyes. A sure sign that the story would be a doozy. And sure enough, it was just so unbelievably stupid that I just had to share it.

So there's a family who lives down the block from me, a single mom and two teenage twins, a brother and sister. The couple times I've ever talked to the kids, they seem like totally normal teenagers, and I've never had any issue with them. The mom kind of struck me as a drama queen, but I'm not looking to get sucked into other people's drama, and I've always been friendly with her if I've run into her in the neighborhood. But, I guess, her version of events is, at last years block party, her son and daughter got "bullied" into going into the dunk tank against their will, fully clothed. First of all, this caused them to "ruin" their fine clothes. Then furthermore, either one or both of the kids got filmed on someone's cellphone camera, and it got uploaded to Tiktok or Snapchat or whatever, where they were further teased and bullied. This lead to drama-queen-mom flipping out on the neighborhood Facebook group and berating the other people in the neighborhood for allowing this to all happen.

Then my neighbor rolled his eyes again. HIS version of events (and I guess he was nearby when all this went down), was that the two kids seem like normal, well-adjusted teenagers, despite their mother's influence. There was no bullying, they wanted to participate in the dunk tank along with all their friends. There might have been the usual teenage joking and bantering, but no one was forced to do anything. As for the so-called "ruined" clothes, according to my neighbor both kids were wearing t-shirts and jeans. Apparently the jeans were the fashionable ones that came pre-ripped and pre-faded, but still just jeans. Nothing that could possibly get damaged by water. And, of course if they cared to, they could have easily just walked the few houses down to their house and change into swimsuits if they were so inclined. Now, to be fair, my neighbor said he didn't know what may have happened with Tiktok/Snapchat or whatever the latest social media craze it, maybe its possible something inappropriate happened there - but my neighbor at least didn't see any indication at the time that anything inappropriate was happening. Then, apparently, drama-queen-mom started blowing up Facebook ranting and raving about all of this, which I'm told caused a lot of people to feel very hurt.

So by the end of the story, I understood why the dunk tank was a touchy subject and why it might be best to steer clear of that this year. I pretty much never use Facebook, since its all just melodrama that I don't care about, but I did go and look at our neighborhood group and scrolled back to last year. And, yup, drama-queen-mom was sure on fire with numerous posts calling out numerous people, claiming that her children suffered psychological damage, threatening legal action, and posting pictures of her kids' allegedly "ruined" clothes (I didn't see anything that looked damaged all, but then again I'm far from an expert in contemporary teenage fashion, so what do I know?). Just out of curiosity, I did click on some of the pictures of the dunk tank, and located one of the brother sitting on the hot seat, still dry, and based on his face and body language, there was nothing that suggested that he was anything but having fun up there. Granted a single picture doesn't tell the whole story, but something about this just doesn't pass the sniff test.

At any rate though, I've now learned more than enough to conclude that I don't want to even broach the subject of doing a dunk tank. I've so far maintained a friendly yet distant relationship with drama-queen-mom, and that is exactly how I want to keep it!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]