Page banner image

Re: Funniest or most surreal experience?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on March 28, 2023 at 19:18:00

In Reply to: Funniest or most surreal experience? posted by Pete on March 27, 2023 at 20:18:19:

Well, this episode isn't humorous but it certainly was surreal. Even though it happened decades ago it's still a very vivid memory in my mind.

When I first started getting wet in clothes in public the easiest medium to do so was in dunk tanks. At the time they were quite common at local fairs and festivals and getting dunked fully clothed was totally acceptable as opposed to doing so at other public places such as local beaches or pools. So I would make the rounds of these events seeking out the dunk tanks and then volunteering to be dunked if the people running the dunk tank would permit me to do so. In the early days they usually did as they were glad to get volunteers to be dunked and one fully dressed was the icing on the cake as it usually drew a crowd and helped raise additional funds.

At one of these events I found a dunk tank being operated by a swimming team. The kids on the team were the victims as well as performing some of the other functions involved in running a dunk tank and the only adult supervising the activities was one man who was the team coach. I approached and volunteered my services and was permitted to be dunked - fully dressed of course from head to toe. It was a huge success and a hit with the crowd. This particular team showed up at a few other events in the area and I always volunteered for them when I saw them and they always gladly accepted my services and I did this for them for a couple of years and the coach and I were friendly and he was always glad to see me and I made a good bit of money for the team. Since this was a team of youngsters ranging in age from elementary to high school students I naturally came into contact with them quite a bit and there were never any complaints or questions about my character. In fact I had a good relationship with everybody on the team and the kids were always as glad to see me as the coach was.

Then one year there was a major family festival being held at a large park in Portland, Maine sponsored by the Portland Parks and Recreation department. Of course there was a dunk tank and the swim team was running it. Again, the coach was the only adult supervising the kids, which looking back on was kind of strange but I didn't think much of at the time. I was young and naive and just happy to get dunked in my clothes. So when I approached and volunteered to get dunked I was greeted warmly and my assistance was greatly appreciated. I was dunked several times and as so often happened the kids gradually wandered away to play some of the games and do some of the rides. It was a major event with large crowds and as the kids disappeared I got more and more opportunities to be dunked. Everything was hunky dory but eventually I got out of the tank as I needed a rest and decided to walk around the park and see the other activities and grab a bite to eat.

Back in those days one of the major activities at such events was the firemens' foam. The fire department would come and spray foam over a large area of the ground and people would jump in and play in the foam, which looked like soap suds, and have a total blast. It has since been discovered that this foam contains a cancer causing chemical and is not used as much and has been totally discontinued as one of the activities at these festivals. But at the time firemens' foam was a huge draw and kids especially loved it.

Since this was such a major event I believe there were two trucks that came and spread the foam. As a result the foam was super thick and high and well over my head. People went in and literally disappeared out of sight. Mostly it was kids who entered the foam but some adults did as well and naturally I went in too. It was a total blast and soon kids were covering me in foam and piling it on top of me and all over me. I certainly had no objections and the kids were all laughing and giggling and having a great time and I emerged looking like the Abominable Snowman. Everyone was happy. I cleared off most of the foam but decided the best way to get rid of the residual foam was to go bank to the dunk tank and get dunked again.

When I got back to the dunk tank only the coach was there. He was more than happy to have me go back up in the tank and drum up some more business until the kids on the team meandered back. So I climbed back up on the seat and waited for someone to come along and dunk me.

While I was waiting a guy from the Parks and Recreation Department came and said something to the coach which I couldn't hear and then he walked away. Next thing I knew the coach was yelling at me, "Get down from there right now!" I was totally bewildered, but complied. I approached the coach whose whole attitude had changed dramatically. When I asked him what was wrong he told me that the guy from the Parks department had informed him that while I was in the foam someone had accused me of touching some of the children inappropriately. I was totally flabbergasted! I tried to explain to the coach that that wasn't true but he refused to listen and kept screaming and yelling at me to get out of his sight. I was in total shock as he had always been so friendly and had seen me interacting with the kids on the team and obviously knew that nothing inappropriate had ever happened with them. It didn't make sense.

Looking back a lot of things didn't make sense. If I had supposedly committed such a heinous act how come the Parks guy hadn't brought a law enforcement officer with him? Why weren't there angry parents with him accusing me with their children who had supposedly been victimized? Being accused of being a pedophile is a very serious thing with major repercussions.

Clearly I was disoriented by the accusation, but once I got my head cleared and could think straight I decided to take matters into my own hands. I left the dunk tank, where I was no longer welcome, and sought out a police officer. I explained the situation to him and asked if he knew anything about it. He informed me that no complaints had been filed against me and that there was no evidence to prove I had done anything wrong and for me to just forget the whole incident.

Well, I never forgot. Naturally I left the event and it took me some time to recover from the accusations. I never saw the swim team at any future events and wouldn't have volunteered for them anyway under the circumstances. I suppose I could have sued the Parks Department and that particular employee for defamation of character or libel but I didn't. I was just so devastated by the whole episode and as I said previously I was young and naive. I have learned from that experience to always be careful around children when doing my wacky wet stuff make sure that there are other people around and to be clearly visible at all times. It's sad in a way, because I like children and enjoy them and their activities and enjoy doing things with them. Yet ever since that happened I have always been cautious even though I have participated in numerous events since. Lesson learned and not forgotten. It was definitely a surreal experience.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]