Page banner image

an earthworm and a mule team

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on February 03, 2020 at 05:52:21

I've had a few minor adventures with mud. There was one drizzly day but otherwise January has had mostly tourist weather, and the mud is almost gone, so I haven't had all that much to report. Fortunately there are some Englishmen here who seem never to have heard of hypothermia and are fooling around in water and mud all winter long.

Last Sunday I trashed my last Carhartt overalls in a mud hole at Reach 11. Much as I like the brand, I think I need to wear out some of my other overalls before I buy more of those.

I have been arriving at work with some mud on my overalls and boots from working in the alley behind my house. It faces northeast and the sun exposure in winter is minimal, so the ground has stayed moist, and December rains produced January weeds, which I have been pulling to the extent that the bins can hold them and making allowances for the needs of my neighbors to use them for other rubbish. Naturally I prefer to pull them while the ground is still muddy, not only for my own enjoyment but because the work is easier. My neighbors never do this. Perhaps they aren't aware of what a fire hazard they'd be if they were allowed to remain when the heat of spring dried them.

One morning while kneeling in the mud pulling weeds I saw an earthworm. I haven't seen one of those in two years. I don't think they're native to this area.

This afternoon I went to the state trust land and hiked south from Dynamite Road. There were only a few mud holes left. As I reached Jomax I beheld the extraordinary sight of two men driving a team of two mules dragging a large tire that was sideways on the ground. It looked like an old-style method of grading a dirt road. Unfortunately making the trail more even diminishes the presence of mud holes.

There's an old song entitled "February Brings the Rain." Not so thus far it seems. A cold front is expected tomorrow, but it's expected only to bring wind and frost. Maybe the following week we'll be more fortunate.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]