Page banner image

Re: an earthworm and a mule team

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on February 03, 2020 at 19:46:48

In Reply to: an earthworm and a mule team posted by Zonie on February 03, 2020 at 05:52:21:

I wonder if the men were training the mules to drive. Back in the day when I had equines I trained two Shetland ponies to drive. First it was long lining with just long lines run through a curcingle around their girth. Then we long lined with the actual harness on. Then we added a travois we made out of poles so the pony could get used to the feel of shafts on their side and have a small amount of weight to pull, plus the noise of the travois scraping on the ground got them used to unusual sounds and noises. Then we had them hitched to a log to pull so they would learn to lean into the collar and actually pull from the chest. Then we graduated to a two wheel cart, which was a snap. I walked behind it at first doing turns and circles until they learned how to lean against the shafts. Then it was getting into the cart and actually going for a ride. It was a lengthy process, but well worth. Both ponies turned out to be super driving ponies and I had so much fun with them.

Hauling the tire would definitely get them used to pulling weight and to noise coming from behind them. They could also have been grading the dirt as well, although I am surprised they didn't use a tractor for that. Here in New England we have horse (and ox) pulling competitions where teams of draft horses or oxen pull sleds with large weighted "stones" on them to see who can pull the greatest weight for the longest distance. Not quite like a rodeo, but it actually draws quite a crowd. The interesting thing is that they use a tractor to smooth out the ring and level it off before the next team competes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]