Page banner image

We create our own mud pit.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Luke on February 20, 2021 at 19:18:18

We – Tony, Sam, Dave and myself – had decide that we’d try to dig ourselves a nice mud-pit or swamp as Kayne calls. We’d like it to be deep enough to stand in and still get seriously muddy as far up our bodies as we could without bending to get covered. The youngest/smallest cousin likely to be using it is my cousin Will who is almost 13 and when we measured him we found he is 4’ 11”, about 10” shorter than me. So we reckoned that if we made the mud about 10” shallower than Will is tall, say 4’ roughly he would able to stand up in it and still breathe – I thought that important despite his older brothers’ objections! - we would have mud that was about chest deep on us older lads.

The weather was warmer today, up to 10° or 12° C, and it has been raining steadily since I woke up, so we knew we’d get wet whatever happened. Tony’s dad suggested a place to dig it, about midway between our two homes at the bottom of a sloping field that is pasture and gets quite wet when it rains, there is a hidden corner between a tall hedge and a couple of trees that are about thirty feet away from the boundary making the area pretty much unusable. Sam is a dab hand at driving and using the little digger that the farm uses for ditch clearing and so on, so he used that and the rest of us stood around watching and telling him what to do; bit like a team of council workmen really!

It didn’t take long to get the pit dug out and we got uncle Frank to bring a bowser of water over to fill it up. He suggested using an old waterproof liner that was sitting in the barn – I think it had been used to line the duck pond before that was moved to a new location - so that it retained water, so after we had spread that out we filled it with water and volunteered Will to jump in and see if we had got the depth about right. He was a bit reluctant at first but soon complied when his brothers threatened to just throw him in whether he liked it or not. It was just about right, lapping over his shoulders as he moved about, and in the end he seemed happy to get a fully clothed soaking.

We had made the side facing up-hill as a slope so that you could wade out more easily. Sam had piled the earth from the pit around the edges so we made a channel through the pile just above the level of the water so that if it rained a lot the water level would remain much the same as the excess drained away.

Then came the fun bit. We all jumped in as Sam used the digger and pushed and shoved the soil back into the pit slowly whilst the rest of us mixed it with the water to make a nice sloppy mud. After an hour or so of increasingly muddy fun doing that we had a pit full of sloppy mud, much like a thick soup, and still had plenty of soil left around the edges to use in future. We were now all absolutely soaked in mud – except Sam, who had been in the digger. We soon remedied that by making him the first person to christen the mud pit by being thrown in. He loved it.

We all scrambled out and spent a few minutes having a laugh at what we all looked like. Little Will had been ducked by his brothers, Saul and Adam, a few times and his baggy jeans and sweatshirt hung heavily off his slim frame as if several sizes too big. Most of his everyday-on-the-farm clothes are hand-downs from his older brothers so he never looks what you might call smart. Tony and Sam, who are identical twins, like to further confuse people by dressing in similar clothes, mostly black or grey jeans and monochrome tops, but completely plastered in mud they had no need to resort to that as they both looked like mud monsters, with just their white teeth and eyes showing through the mud, as did the rest of us. Saul and Adam (also twins) are luckily not identical and never try to fool people about who is who; they never dress the same and always seem to go for different colour tops if both in blue jeans. Today they were both in old worn jeans and sweatshirts, Adam in red and Saul in yellow. Steve was in faded grey skinny jeans and a green and black striped rugby shirt. All of three of them were completely muddy to their shoulders but had not ducked under completely. Dave and I had happily dived in a couple of times so were completely covered from head to toe.

Sam suggested that we mud-slide down the slope and into the mud pit and we gradually increased the length of the slide until we had made it stretch as far as the two trees, starting between them, and ending in a steeper drop down the sloping side into the mud. That was so much fun and with each guy trailing wet mud back up the slide to have another go, it just got faster and faster the more muddy it got.

We were eventually interrupted by our uncles Frank (Sam & Tony’s dad) and Rob (Steve’s dad) coming to see what we had done and say that lunch was ready. Of course their three sons challenged them to have a go at the mudslide. None of us were at all surprised when they actually did so – as soon as the word “challenge” was mentioned the two of them turned from 40+ year old sensible adults to excited teenagers – and they both ended up having several goes and getting as muddy as we all were. We retreated to the yard where we all hosed each other clean and then sat down to lunch in the kitchen in our undies with towels wrapped around our waists. Good job none of us had decided to go commando! My aunts were not in the least surprised to find their husbands return to lunch as muddy as their kids. Returning home later reality hit as Dave and I had to pull on our wet, clammy clothes which seemed really cold after remaining outside draped over a five bar gate whilst we had been in the warm having lunch. The only solution was to get a hot shower when we got home, in our clothes of course.

My brother Billy was working today so when he got home an hour or so ago, we told him about the pit and the mud slide and he says he will try it out tomorrow. The weather is forecast to be dry tomorrow, just sunny with scattered clouds, so it should be perfect for getting soaked in mud again.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]