Page banner image

Fun at the Mud Run

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on August 08, 2021 at 01:55:08

So this morning I attended the Trucks Gone Wild Mud Run. On line info said they would be having the usual classes for different types of 4 x 4 trucks and vehicles and that they would be having mud bogging as well. which is much less structured and more informal. No competition, just good clean (NOT!!!) fun. You can take your vehicle through the mud as often as you wish and do what you wish. That's what really interested me as there is often more opportunity to get in the mud

The directions to the event that I took off the computer seemed simple enough. I left my house about 8am and it said the mud bog would be open about 10. The competition events started at 11. The route to the event took me right through the city of Auburn and as we were leaving Auburn I see a see a vehicle hauling a mud truck with giant wheels and two big flags a few lengths ahead of me. Behind them was a smaller truck with an atv and some mini bikes thrown in the back. Pretty obvious where they were going so I told myself "FOLLOW THAT TRUCK!!!" It kind of blew my mind when they suddenly made a right hand turn onto a rural road and headed cross country as the turn my instructions told me to take was quite a ways away. But I followed them anyway, figuring they knew what they were doing and where they were going and I was so glad I did! The scenery was spectacular! And sure enough we eventually came out onto the route my instructions had said to take and from there it was just a short ways to the event site.

Not too many day spectators had arrived yet, but people who were camping for the weekend were staying in a large field across the street and it was already packed. They will be having some bands playing there this evening. So I paid my entrance fee, parked and got out to explore. In the "front" was a huge course with all kinds of curves, obstacles and even a mud pit, but I was looking for the bog. Then a guy from the Red Neck games I used to attended spotted me and shouted to me so I went over and talked to him and he told me the bog was "out back". Might as well have been the Australian outback because I couldn't see or hear anything from where I was. But I followed as instructed. Behind the main arena was "the pit" and behind that was another group of campers. The road itself was very muddy with a slick, thick gumbo type of mud making it hard to walk in places, but it did lead to where I wanted to be.

Before I forget I was wearing brown boots which I have been wearing to the lake all summer. They are on their last legs and probably won't survive much longer. Also a pair of 501s that have been in the mud before, old postal uniform shirt, blue tie, indigo denim vest with lace up sides, and brown hat I have been wearing to the lake which is also about to give up the ghost nd starting to lose its shape a bit.

The "bog" itself was the size of a small pond. The upper half was roped off with yellow caution tape as that is where the drivers were going through some very thick mud and up and down a few small hills and bumps. I was really not impressed by the mud in that area. It was so thick that many were getting stuck and had to be towed out. There was a wet section in the middle that looked good. However the lower half of the bog was very wet, in fact water was standing on most of it and the sides looked very slick and slippery with some nice creamy mud. Since no one had been through it yet I couldn't tell how deep it was. There was no caution tape there so nothing to hold me back or prevent me from going in once I found out the vital statistics.

I didn't have to wait long. Two rather hefty young ladies riding an atv decided to take the scenic route around the perimeter of the bog and when the trail ran out they immediately sank and were totally mired. One got off and was thigh deep in nice creamy mud. At first everyone was hesitant to take their vehicles out there. Then one guy tried hauling them out with his atv with just a rope, but wasn't successful. Finally someone told them to both get off and let the guy just pull it without their weight on it, and I suggested they PUSH while he pulled. They weren't keen on that idea at all. Finally a guy with a winch managed to get them out.

I was still pondering the depth of the mud in front of me when a guy in a jeep next to me decided to drive across at that exact spot, urged on by one of his buddies who said he would tow him out if he got stuck. To my relief it had a solid bottom and wasn't all that deep. Plus he stirred the mud up to a nice consistency. I was getting very hot and needed to cool off. Temps were in the mid to high 80s. Time to get muddy! So I waded out, laid down in the mud, made some mud angels, swam around a bit - all to the surprise and delight of the people watching. Unfortunately I couldn't convince anyone to join me. It felt awesome, nice and cool and I was totally covered. I went in the mud a total of three times and each time was better than the last and then I decided to head.

I never expcted to run into a traffic jam on that road, but that's exactly what happened. And not just one, but two! Evry kind of 4 wheel drive vehicle you could think of was was stopped and they were backed up in both directions, three and four abreast in places. What in the world. People were laughing, pointing and commenting as I wiggled my through and around them. Then I discovered what the problem was. A large pickup truck was right across the road, totally mired in mud. There was a tiny stream with a small bridge and the mud right before the bridge was really thick and gooey as a result of all the rain we have been having lately, plus the stream probably overflowed its banks making matters worse. making it worse. Those on four wheelers could just get by one at a time if they were careful, but anything else just had to wait. Then ran into the exact same thing at the next little bridge. I simply couldn't believe how many vehicles there were lined up. When I got back to the main arena the place was mobbed with spectators and competitors alike, all agog as I walked past in my muddy clothes. There was a rinse station and some guys hosed me off but everyone kept telling me to go to the river across the street and really wash up there. I tried, but to get to the river you had to cross the field on the other side of the road where the campers were staying. A security guard stopped me and told me I couldn't go through as I only had a day pass and not a camper's pass. OK, I asked him if he knew of another way I could to the river. "Not through here you can't!, he responded grumpily. Fine, have a nice day! Enjoy the hot sun!

So back to the car. Total mayhem with people walking in all directions and vehicles doing likewise. No privacy at all. I took everything off from the waist up and threw it in plastic garbage bagswhich I put in the back of my SUV. I had spread a tarp, an old bedspread and a bunch of towels across the seat of the car and on the floor and they worked pretty well. I left my Levi's on as I didn't feel I could take them off without getting arrested. Stopped at a car wash and took everything out of the back and sprayed it thoroughly with the power nozzle and rinsed off the jeans a bit more as well, but pressure was too much to use on my bare skin. Then stopped at the river for another rinse off, then home and into the shower.

On the way home I followed the route given in my instructions. It brought me to the main highway quicker, where I could make better time due to increased speed limits, but it was no where near as pretty.

All in all it was fun day and I was happy to have the chance to get muddy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]