Page banner image

Re: the treacherous hole

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on January 02, 2023 at 04:33:53

In Reply to: Re: the treacherous hole posted by LeviLovR on January 02, 2023 at 00:27:10:

I remember one silly radio commercial in which the announcer said as incidental trivia to his main message, "There are no poisonous snakes in Maine. On second thought I'm moving to Maine." Well most areas have their outdoor hazards. I certainly wouldn't want to face one of your polar bears (OK, I'm joking. I know they're not that far south).

In winter we're quite safe from rattlesnakes. They go into hibernation when the afternoon temperatures are below about 80°F.

My Kenyan correspondent once told me about having to organize a group of friends and hiring a game warden to go hiking. I asked why she wouldn't hike solo. She reminded me that the wildlife in her area was rather more dangerous than that it mine. I might not go out exploring the mud in areas where there were African lions and Cape buffalo.

I hadn't thought much of how vulnerable horses are to mud, but it makes sense. They are very heavy animals, yet their hooves have less surface area than our feet. When I did my improvised trail repair, I was more concerned about a horse tripping than a horse miring. I did see a couple videos about rescuing horses that were mired in mud, and it seemed very complicated.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]