Page banner image

Re: climbing down was the obstacle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on February 27, 2023 at 18:42:15

In Reply to: Re: climbing down was the obstacle posted by LeviLovR on February 27, 2023 at 17:22:41:

There was an irrigation system in medieval times in the Phoenix area, but those who built it had no written language so we don't know much about them, but probably they didn't wear overalls. Scientists suspect that this ended with the Little Ice Age drought of the early 15th Century, and there wasn't a lot of farming here until the late 19th Century. That farming which there has been since then is just about totally dependent on irrigation. This climate is warm enough to grow a lot of things that aren't grown here because they take up too much water. For example, I don't know of anywhere in the area that they grow rice or sugar cane.

So farmers and ranchers didn't really have much conflict in Arizona, because farmers were so restricted in where they could plant. Now cowboys and shepherds were a different story. There was a bitter range war in the vicinity of the Mogollon Rim in the late 19th Century. The truce was that sheep would stay atop the Rim on the Colorado Plateau and cattle would stay below the rim. I don't know if cowboys and shepherds dressed differently.

I find overalls practical for my job, which has nothing to do with farming. On the other hand, dressing like a cowboy while operating the furnaces wouldn't be terribly practical. The hat would probably be singed by the hot loads, and the boots might slip on the oil on the floor. One definite advantage overalls have in the mud is that there's no belt or belt loop to clean, and the pockets are higher on the garment.

I do remember a hair stylist asking if I was working that day. I said, "You can tell I'm not working, because I'm wearing pants." She asked what I wore when I was working. I said, "Overalls. I'm certainly not going to run the furnaces in a kilt."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]