Page banner image

Mud-centric, "sane" mud run......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DCMudPuppy on May 03, 2023 at 22:07:21

FINALLY got to do a mud run (MuddyDash) for the first time since prior to the pandemic, and am glad to see that after years of getting pushed aside by "extreme" (and expensive) events like ToughMudder, some sane (and affordable) runs seem to be returning.

We did the Muddy Dash DC (5K), not far outside of town on the grounds at Rosecroft Raceway. MuddyDash is a new one, and is more geared to those of us who just want a low key (but dirty) fun run that won't break the bank.

Mother Nature helped with heavy rains the entire day (and night) before, and by the time our "wave" went through, the entire course was ankle deep slop, deeper in some areas.

Obstacles were mud-oriented (not dirty water, MUD) and easily doable by myself (JUST turned 61) and my friend who turns 60 this year. Since it was NOT timed (important part), we were NOT being mowed by over-achievers trying to set a record. We walked the course, and it was no problem. First one where I saw whole families do it together, and there were plenty of non-runners.

ANYHOW - here are some tips for those of you considering one.

1.) Sign up for a later "wave" time. Let the earlier runners churn it up for you. Often times, what starts as a pool of slightly dirty water will become a nice mudpit to dive into later on.....

2.) You're paying to do it, which means you can by-pass obstacles, we basically bypass the climbs, etc., that I'm not up for, and head straight for the next mudpit.

3.) These events usually need volunteers, you'll have to be there very early, but you're usually able to run the course (and roll in the mud all you want) at the end (after it's good and churned up). as well.

4.) You don't HAVE to actually RUN it, my friend and I walked the entire course, and it was no issue.

While you can't necessarily enjoy the mud fully (you know what I mean) the way some of us like to, you CAN have fun getting as muddy as you want, and others actually ENCOURAGE you. First obstacle on Saturday was a long calvert pipe that ended at a sizeable mudpit, most people got up and trudged through. Not wasting this, I went face first through the pipe, launched off, and dove into the mud, leaving only some of my face uncovered. The proverbial "crowd went wild" (especially at "the old guy who dove in") and several college-age guys followed my example.

Anyhow - for those of you discouraged by events geared towards super-athletic overachievers, some "regular" ones seem to be returning.

Hope this inspires some of you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]